Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I accidentally deleted this post from back in November...Wacky Weather & What I'm Cooking: Easy Peasy Caprese Salad!

I'm stuck in a major Cooking-Blogging-Shopping-Exercising RUT.  It seems with the turning of the seasons, so too has my motivation to do any of the things that normally bring me inspiration and happiness.  I blame it on the weather which has been acting insanely bipolar here in Indianapolis.  One day we have a high of 70 degrees, the next it's down to the 40s.  We had monsoon like rains and gail force winds just a few days ago and I was certain our roof was going to fly off at times.  

Today, it took every bit of energy to make myself take Little Miss B on a walk.  Despite the sunny blue skies today, the wind is brutal and I instantly felt like a was getting bitch slapped in the face by Mother Nature.  But thankfully, with the help of my Adele station on Pandora, we pushed through.  I even kept the momentum going when we got home and finally did some much-needed B grooming: nails trimmed, ears cleaned out (dogs with floppy ears have the stinkiest ears on the planet!), and brushed her teeth (1st time I'd done it & I must say she did a great job.  I think she liked the toothpaste).


Also today, I whipped up a wonderful snack.  I call it my own little spin on the classic Caprese salad.  Fun. Easy. HEALTHY. Delishhhh!
I started with (pictured below) cherry tomatoes (halved), red onion (chopped thinly), fresh Mozzarella cheese (cut into small cubes) and fresh basil (thinly sliced) all combined in a bowl.
Then I sprinkled it with a bit of salt and pepper and about a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and a generous drizzle of my yummy honey-balsamic glaze.  

(To make the balsamic glaze:: over medium-low heat in a sauce pan combine half a cup of balsamic vinegar and 2 tablespoons of honey.  Reduce liquid by about half and then remove from heat to let it cool down and thicken.)  

Combined, these ingredients create a bold flavor explosion.  Freshness from the veggies.  Sweet and sour from the balsamic glaze.  Salt from the cheese.  Bitter from the basil.  I could easily and guiltlessly eat this every day!


No comments:

Post a Comment