Friday, May 4, 2012

What I'm Cooking: Blackened Tuna Cakes with Sriracha Cream Sauce & Corn and Jalapeno Relish


The majority of the time, I find cooking inspiration from others.  The wonderful world of Pinterest (the mental crack for domestic princesses-in-training and bored housewives all over the world) makes it easier than ever to find recipes, crafts, home decor, fitness and fashion ideas.  Pinterest has exponentially increased my (previously nonexistent) ADD and further exacerbated my already serious shopping compulsions.  Eventually there will be a legitimate medical service called Social Media Therapy and I will be lying down on a couch expressing my inability to disconnect.  Until that day, the pinning must go on....

Earlier this week, while aimlessly scrolling through Pinterest, I came across this delicious recipe for these Tuna Cakes by Skinny Mom.

via Pinterest
I just happened to have all the necessary ingredients already so I decided to give them a try.  In the past, D has mentioned several times that he hates canned tuna, (he said he bit down in a bone one time which totally grossed him out) so, I was taking a bit of a risk making these.  I decided to play around a bit with the ingredients but I think I did a pretty good job.


Blackened Tuna Cakes served with Sriracha Cream Sauce & Corn and Jalapeno Relish (makes 2 servings)

2 cans tuna in water, drained
2 tsp blackened seasoning (I used Zatarain's)
1/2 medium white onion
1/3 cup roasted garlic bread crumbs
2 large egg whites

Sriracha Cream Sauce (makes 2 servings)

1 tsp Sriracha hot chili sauce
1 TBSP mayonnaise
1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek Yogurt

Corn and Jalapeno Relish (makes 4 servings)

2 small ears of sweet corn
1-1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 jalapeno (seeded)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup black bean (drained and rinsed)
1 lime, half juiced
salt and pepper to taste

In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the canned tuna, blackened seasoning, onion, bread crumbs and egg whites.  Mix all ingredients thoroughly.  Divide into 4 separate balls and then flatten out like a burger patty.

In a medium sized skilled, spray a generous portion of cooking spray, and get up to medium heat.  Place 2 tuna patties into the skillet and cook until both sides have a nice browning on the outside (a couple minutes on each side).  Repeat with the remaining 2.

Instead of using chipotle chiles in adobo for the serving sauce, which Skinny Mom's recipe called for, I went with Sriracha because I LOVE IT! I put this on everything!  In a small bowl, combine the Sriracha, mayonnaise and Greek yogurt.  I served them in ramekins on the side.

To make it a complete meal, I threw together a deliciously bright and tasty corn and jalapeno relish.  In a medium sized bowl, I cut the corn off the cob. (Next time, I'm going to grill them first.  I love the charred flavor of corn on the grill.)  I added the quartered cherry tomatoes, seeded jalapenos, black beans and cilantro then squeezed out the juice of half a lime and sprinkled a pinch of salt and pepper, giving it all a nice stir.

I placed a lime wedge on each plate and voila, a delicious and healthy meal was created!  This whole meal was under 500 calories per serving.  D was a bit hesitant to give them a try but ultimately, he loved them and got an entry into the Clean Plate Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment