Friday, March 23, 2012

Burgers & Beers Exciting the Exploding Downtown Foodie Landscape:: What I'm Eating: BRU Burger Bar on Mass Ave

My first experience dining at a Cunningham Restaurant Group (CRG) establishment was at their Stone Creek location for a private event years back.  My brother and his wife got married in Michigan and then had a small, private dinner reception at Stone Creek in Noblesville at a later time.  I was definitely impressed with the service and food.

Months later, D and I were just beginning to date and living downtown gave us ample opportunities to try new and exciting places.  We especially liked the eclectic Mass Ave area.  At the time, I didn't realize Stone Creek and Mesh were affiliated so we walked in not really knowing what to expect.  The former Scholar's Inn building had been transformed from a dark, stuffy scene out of the Sopranos into a modern contemporary establishment with beautiful hand crafted decor and amazing lighting, so they started off on the right foot.  The staircase and the brilliant chandeliers were so eye-catching.  It was pretty crowded which I took into account was because of its infancy.  From what I can remember (this was over a year and a half ago) the service was a bit shaky and slow and although the food was pretty decent, I found myself having a hard time justifying the price: a few rounds of drinks, a couple salads, an order of scallops and fish tacos, a shared dessert and a bill near $100.  All in all I would say this is a solid place to celebrate very special occasions but not somewhere I would frequent.

Then flash forward to a few weeks ago, I started to hear/see buzz around a fairly new restaurant along Mass Ave that certainly peaked my interest: BRU Burger Bar.  Upon further research, I discovered they, too, were owned by CRG.  The menu and the atmosphere sounded much more attuned to our tastes, not to mention, they boasted a pretty swell local craft beer menu.  I immediately recognized the location as a place that D and I walked by so many times on our many strolls downtown.  I often wondered what it was since it seemed to be so centrally located.  Although, the day we went was chilly, I could easily envision BRU being a major hot spot anytime the weather is nice.  There is a nice large patio area and they have these large windows that can open up.  The interior is small and has CRG's signature touch of design.  High-end wood work, unique lighting fixtures, one of a kind art on the wall.  But what BRU has that I think Mesh really lacked was a casualness and youthfulness.  It was a Saturday around 2 yet the place still had a pretty decent amount of patrons.  The crowd was very mixed: young hipsters; an artsy older couple; men in polo shirts; a woman with bright red hair and her kids in tow.  We decided to belly-up at the bar and immediately began eyeing the beer list.  We were greeted by the bartender who was pretty friendly and eager to take our order.

Now, I want to preface this next part by saying that D and I are, by no means, connoisseurs of beer.  We are sophisticated enough to enjoy and appreciate local, craft beer and we do frequently but it's not beneath us to just grab a case of Miller Lt and call it a night.  I worked in high end restaurants and learned how to pair beer and wine with food so I have an advantage over D when it comes to those things.  Anyways, I was thirsty and decided to ask our bartender what I should try.  They have a very impressive tap list and a nice import bottle list.  They recommended Sun King Brewery's Chocolate Wee Mac, the one featured on the black chalk board.  D went ahead and just ordered a Blue Moon, something that is safe and that he knows he likes.  This was met with a bit of  "Are you sure you want to go with that?  You should definitely go with the Wee Mac.  Blue Moon is okay and all but...."  I'm paraphrasing because I can't quite remember verbatim.  D then answered back to the tune that he's not really a chocolate guy and especially not mixed with beer yet the bartender still insisted and gave him and I a sample to try.  He politely said it's good but that again, it wasn't his cup of tea and instead ordered the Bell's seasonal and not the Blue Moon, since that kinda implied to be a silly choice.  I actually liked the Wee Mac a lot and decided to order a glass (even though the flavors would eventually not pair very well with my burger choice).  Here's my no-expertise beer enthusiast's description: dark in color, medium in body (definitely not as heavy as it appears) with strong notes of chocolate, better yet: Tootsie Roll! See, I'm not an expert.  Anyways, the whole point of my beer story is that a lot of customer service has to do with reading your guest and knowing when to give a proper recommendation and when not to give unsolicited advice.  In that brief exchange, the bartender was helpful to me because I had asked for their opinion and not helpful to D and even a Wee Mac bit insulting.  It never hurts to give recommendations but don't make the guest feel stupid for not knowing about or liking a certain food or beverage.

That aside, the rest of the experience was actually quite enjoyable.  The menu is beautifully inspired with hints of several different cultural cuisines. Really, every aspect of the menu looks delicious.  Roasted Jalapeno Mac and Cheese.  Sriracha Caesar Salad?! You had me at "Sriracha."  The Country Fried Shrimp Po Boy really caught my eye but the name of the place is BRU Burger Bar so we focused primarily just on the burgers.  Our plan of attack was to each get a different burger and one add the fries ($2) and the other add the onion rings ($3) since the burgers come a la carte.  I went with the Ground Turkey Burger because the description was just so interesting: Carrot Ginger Slaw, Peach Compote, Curry Mayo.

This burger was bursting with flavor, especially yellow curry.  The peach compote added a real balance of sweet and smooth.  The slaw was crisp and refreshing and I loved the multi-grain bun.  The burger, itself, was a tad dry but that tends to happen often with ground turkey.  Overall, I enjoyed it but certainly look forward to trying the other burgers on the menu.

Speaking of which, when I first glanced at the menu, I knew immediately that D would go with the Mexicali BBQ Burger and of course, I was right.  You had him at "queso" and "guacamole."

This thing is a monster of a burger, yet D ate every last bite!  Spicy, ooey-booey, and juicy is how I would describe it.  Then they go on further and add one of their onion rings just to be more awesome.  Which brings me to one of my other absolute delights: the onion rings.  They are quite possibly my favorite onion rings in the city.  They were so light and airy and the batter was fantastic.  They are lightly battered yet fluff up so much from incorporating the good quality beer which you could really taste.  Also, when I bit down, the whole onion didn't slide out which is great since I have little grinders and have a hard time biting down sharply on anything.  And to add the cherry on the top of the perfect onion rings, they go and serve it with their own house-made ketchup.  I don't think my wording or my picture does enough justice for how much I L-O-V-E their ketchup.  They take Red Gold tomatoes, a little bit of soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar (i'm guessing) and concoct the most wonderfully simple condiment I've ever tasted.  Brilliant!

I definitely enjoyed my first experience at BRU Burger Bar and can't wait to get in there again especially on a bright, sunny day.  We finished our second round of beers and the end of the basketball game that was on and made our way out the door.  Sadly, we were greeted at our car with a $20 parking fine for an expired meter.  We must not have asked for enough time.  Stupid parking meters!  Anyways, definitely give BRU Burger Bar a try and let me know what you think!

410 Massachusetts Avenue  Indianapolis, Indiana 46202
(317) 635-4278 


CRG continues to provide Indianapolis and surrounding areas with top quality establishments that keep my interest piqued.  For more information, click on the links below:

Cunningham Restaurant Group

5 comments:

  1. Oh yum! BRU is definitely on my short list; hoping to get there in the next couple of weeks. And P.S. double check your meter violation ticket. I've gotten two erroneous tickets using the parking app.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually had dinner at Bru Burgers last night! We all shared the goat cheese strudel (AH-MAZING) and I had the Povencal Burger (basil aoili, red onion, herbed goat cheese, and marinated portabello) which was so rich, but so good! Too bad about the meter issue! They've improved their response time on those expired meters since adding the fancy shmancy kind. Loved your post!

    www.alliesbubble.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. BSMBLOG: definitely, get in there soon! I don't have the parking app...yet! Also, I tried to look for my ticket online to pay & it's not on indy.gov...hm...

    Allie: your choices sound amazing except I cannot get myself to like goat cheese. I've tried and tried and tried. Love your blog, btw. Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you love BRU too. It's one of my favorite places in the city! My boyfriend and I order the same way you two do: two different burgers, one with fries and one with onion rings. I always get the onion rings on my plate because I can't get enough of them. Perhaps we Indy bloggers should get together at BRU sometime soon for a lunch or dinner?!? Have an awesome weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jillian: That is a great idea. I am always up to eating and meeting new people. I am stuck at work right now, salivating over all the yummy burgers I have yet to try!

    ReplyDelete