Wednesday, November 2, 2011

[ 100th Post!!! ] Here Come the Food Trucks! What I'm Eating: Super Street Food Showdown at City Market

Once upon a time, (let's call it a year and half ago) on a warm, early Summer night, a group of my friends and I (after a long night out at the bars) stumbled down the strip and came across an unusual sight in the parking lot of Cardinal Fitness in Broad Ripple.  A large, black truck with slightly familiar, yet totally exotic smells wafted in the air and tugged on our nostrils.  As it lured us closer I realized that it was a food truck!  Yes, the same type of not-so-roach-coach, elevated dining experience on wheels that dominates the streets of big cities like LA and NYC. 

West Coast Tacos (the self-proclaimed "Best Damn Tacos") had set up shop in Indianapolis.  My friends and I devoured several orders of delicious bulgogi-style beef tacos topped with super spicy red salsa, pico-de-gallo and cilantro on 2 thin, authentic corn tortillas.  Being Korean, I already had a natural lust for Korean BBQ and the strong taste buds that could withstand the spicyness of kimchi.  But for a lot of people, the unique flavors of Korean cuisine was new, uncharted territory.   At the time, WCT, myself and everyone else in Indy, had no idea that their revolutionary courage and business savvy would transform the landscape of food culture in our great city.

Flash forward a year later and it's official, food trucks are here to stay.  Over the past summer, close to two dozen food trucks emerged onto the scene.  If you were following and trending on Facebook and Twitter, it seemed like almost weekly, a new, distinct concept was launching.  Local.  Organic.  Italian. Cajun.  PIZZA. Sweets.  I did my best to get around to as many as I could.  Living downtown made that easy.  And as local businesses and farmers markets saw the no-brainer potential of working with these new food trucks, it became easier and easier to find them. 

Now, with the Super Bowl less than 100 days away, the city and the Super Bowl XLVI Host Committee is gearing up to showcase what we have to offer and to accommodate the thousands of hungry, locals and out-of-towners that will be taking over in February.  The food trucks are going to be an integral part of making sure everyone is fed, and fed well. 

I Love this City!
Last Friday, the Super Bowl Host Committee teamed up with City Market to bring us The Super Street Food Showdown.  The main street in front of City Market closed down for 12 competing, local food trucks.  There was also a chef competition that featured some of the most talented local chefs around. 

Super Street Food Showdown @ City Market
I arrived around 11am hoping to have an advantage over all of the businesses that would be letting out for lunch time.  For a while I did.  I really wanted to try something from as many trucks as I could. 

***Click on the food trucks' names to go directly to their website, Facebook page or Twitter account

West Coast Tacos:

The O.G.s (original gangstas) of Indy food trucks slanging their addictive Korean/Mexican fusion tacos.  I went with the Pork Taco.  The flavors are out-of-this-world amazing: sweet, spicy, acidic.  The red sauce/salsa is killer!

West Coast Tacos

WCT Shredded Pork Taco

The NY Slice: 

Serving large, thin crust, over-the-edge NY style slices of pizza.  I went with the cheese.  Next time, bring on the meat!

The NY Slice

The NY Slice Cheese Pizza

Edward's Dashboard Diner: 

I've been to their flagship restaurant and mawed down on their famous tenderloins and onion rings.  To make room for other food, I just went with their homemade root beer.  So. Freaking. Good. 

BTW, they won the competition with the most fan votes.  Hoosiers love their tenderloins!

Edward's Dashboard Diner
Dashboard Diner Rootbeer (best in town!!)
KG Slider Station: 

I've been following them on Twitter but never been able to get to them.  I went with the Southern Bell Rosemary Slider which was their insanely scrumptious version of chicken salad on steroids.  This was my winner of the day.  The chicken was moist.  The flavors were mouth watering.  Even after eating a taco and a slice of pizza, this went down with ease!

Slider Station

KG Slider Station Southern Bell Rosemary Chicken Slider (My favorite bite of the day!)
 Floribbean Flair:

This food truck, if you can call it that, was new to me.  Their appearance didn't quite sell me but the fish tacos and crab cakes on display did.  By the time I got in line (which was only noon) they were already out of their coleslaw and only had 3 crab cakes left.  I was the lucky last one!  I was definitely glad I got one because it was pretty fantastic.  Made with real, fresh-tasting lump crab meat, it tasted like ones I've tried down in Maryland.  I have to say I was pretty disappointed in the over all presentation and lack of a side but I'm curious to see what the future holds for Floribbean Flair.

Floribbean Flair (They need to upgrade to a food truck ASAP)
Floribbean Flair Crab Cake
Scout's Treats:

Although some of the other trucks offered dessert, Scout's Treats was exclusively sweets.  It seemed like everyone down at the event was grabbing something for the road or for back at the office.  I was no exception.  I went with the Pumpkin Muffin which was topped with a sweet, rich chocolate ganache and a slightly tart cream cheese icing.  If that wasn't enough, they even concealed chocolate chips in the muffin.  Heavenly!!

Scout's Treats
Scout's Treats Pumpkin Muffin w/ Chocolate Granache, Cream Cheese Icing
The meter was running and my fingers were totally frozen so here are the other trucks that I didn't get around to trying that day:

Mabel on the Move -

Mabel on the Move - kickin' it old school :)
Tacos Without Borders -

Tacos Without Borders
Duos - They are one of my all time faves with a new menu created every day

Scratch Truck - I've tried them a couple times and have never been disappointed

Byrnes Pizza - Their line was so long by the end of my time there but it looked amazing!  You can almost always find them at the Flat 12 Bierwerks brewery.  What's better than brew and pie!?

Some of This, Some of That - I'd never seen this Cajun food truck before but looking forward to it


I left the event feeling like a complete gluton but totally psyched to have tried some great dishes.  I can only imagine what other food trucks are in the works! 

The Super Bowl Host Committee is doing a great job getting out in the community and getting the city prepared for the chaos excitement that the Super Bowl will bring to Indianapolis [even if our beloved boys in Blue are probably just going to be spectators.]

On a last note, I am absolutely in love with my new Sprint iPhone 4S! The camera is amazing if you couldn't tell!!

No comments:

Post a Comment