Tuesday, September 13, 2011

What I'm Eating: Slowly Exploring the South Side...Fireside Brewhouse & Yokohama Japanese Cuisine and Sushi House

I've lived on the south side of Indianapolis for almost 3 months.  I haven't checked out the local eateries as much as I'd like to but when I have, it's been nothing but pleasant surprises!...

FIRESIDE BREWHOUSE

Across the I-65 overpass from our house you'll find a plethora of retail shopping and restaurants.  It is a vast improvement from where we lived downtown.  D and I found a wonderful bar and grill right down the road from us.  Fireside Brewhouse, as described on their website is "a family-owned and operated restaurant designed to offer guests a superior Southside dining adventure."  I really liked the open, clean atmosphere.  There is a decent-sized bar area and 2 dining areas.  The staff is nice and friendly without being intrusive.  On our first visit we tried a dynamite appetizer, Fireside M-80s.  Lightly breaded and fried jumbo shrimp then tossed drenched in a sweet and spicy Thai-inspired sauce then garnished with green onions and sesame seeds.  They're placed on a bed of slaw that is equally integral to the whole dish.  

We also ordered a thin crust pizza to share between the two of us.  Upon recommendation, we chose the Luca Brazzi pizza which is topped with Italian sausage, onions and peppers.  We were both pretty disappointed with the pizza.  The crust was not memorable, the tomato sauce tasted store-bought, generic, uninspired and one bite and the whole top layer of cheese and toppings came off.



The proximity makes Fireside Brewhouse a go-to place on D and I's list.  I look forward to exploring their signature entrees and burgers which sound enticing.   I returned this past weekend to watch the unfortunate smack down of the Colts and ordered the M-80s again.  I was actually quite surprised that it wasn't more packed during the game. 

997 East County Line Road
Greenwood, IN 46143
(317) 859-9505



The Bride and I were craving sushi a few weeks ago.  She had a consultation with the makeup lady in Greenwood so we Googled sushi restaurants in the area.  Yokohama is near the heart of downtown Greenwood in a house remodeled into a restaurant.  The exterior leaves little to be desired but boy, we weren't disappointed.  In fact, I had some of the best sushi in Indiana.  The interior is quaint yet comforting.  We settled into a booth and were greeted by a friendly woman who took our order as well as made our sushi rolls.  Their menu is quite extensive with entrees, bento boxes and a large selection of sushi rolls.  The rolls were a bit pricier than other places by a dollar or two.  To start, the Bride ordered a small salad and I went with edamame.  We decided to order two rolls and split them.  We went with the Crazy Crunchy Goben.  Tempura shrimp, crab meat, cream cheese and topped with bonito (fish flakes).  Fresh, crunchy, yummy.


The second one was the most imaginative, innovative, delicious roll I've ever had.  It is something that I crave and salivate over just at the thought.  I can't find the name but it is on Yokohama's House Signature Maki menu.  It is made with shrimp tempura, mango, cream cheese and wrapped with soy paper.   It is topped with a very generous amount of avocado.  Finally, a dollop of coconut cream tops it all.  They call it a dessert roll but I could eat this for breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert. 


A friendly gentleman approached our table towards the end of our meal to ask how our experience went and how we had come across Yokohama.  I assume he was the owner.  I enjoyed how he discussed the menu and made sure we were satisfied.  I cannot wait to bring D along.

Yokohama Japanese Cuisine and Sushi House
67 North Madison Ave.
Greenwood, IN 46142
(317) 859-1888

FYI ---> Both Fireside Brewhouse and Yokohama Japanese Cuisine and Sushi Bar are participating in Savor the Southside which goes until September 18th.

1 comment:

  1. I love this! As a southsider I have been to both of these places! Brozzinni's is good and right next to the Kroger. A great coffee place is Strange Brew on Smith Valley Not far from 37. Great owners there, great coffee! It was so nice to meet you today, Great blog you have here!!

    ReplyDelete