Tuesday, August 2, 2011

What I'm Eating: The Quest for the Perfect Thai Red Curry

I have always had a special place in my heart for Thai cuisine.  I love combinations of spicy and sweet joined with fresh vegetables and an array of unique spices.  The flavors are so unique, bold and sometimes clear your sinuses completely. 

When *Fefe and I were in Cincinnati on business and dined at the Teak House Thai Restaurant, my palate experienced the most mind-blowing amazing Red Curry I've ever had in my life. 


That's saying a lot because I've enjoyed red curry and other various Thai entrees in so many different cities: Atlanta, Tampa, Chicago to name a few.  But theirs left such an impression that I'm salivating just writing about it now.  The sauce held the most perfect consistency (not too soupy) and the combination of the heat of the Thai chilies and sweet of the coconut melded together was so copacetic.  So since then, I have been on a quest to find a red curry dish in Indianapolis that can compete with Teak House.

Thai Taste

For years, Thai Taste at the corner of 82nd and Allisonville had been my go-to spot to grab Thai food, mostly because of proximity to where I lived but also because I liked the cozy, quaint family-owned atmosphere it presented.  The Bride and I have gone there together too many times to count and usually during weekday lunch because of the specials which include a soup, salad, entree and spring roll, all for about $7.  I moved away from the Castleton area over 2 years ago and found myself going there less and less.  However, the other day The Bride and I had to discuss upcoming bachelorette party and wedding plans so I suggested we venture back to our old stomping grounds.  I already knew I wanted the Gaeng Daeng which is a Thai red curry made with chicken, coconut milk, Thai basil leaves, julienned red peppers, bamboo shoots, green beans and a whole lot of chilies.



You have to appreciate the little heart-shaped sticky white rice that they serve with all of their entrees.  It makes me blush every time.  I am never disappointed by their food however, it still did not fill the void left by Teak House.  Their red curry is indeed packed with flavor but the sauce was so liquidity that even the white rice couldn't soak it all up.  The color of the sauce also suggested that there wasn't enough red curry paste. 

I was pretty stuffed after 1 serving.  I usually save enough room for a scoop of their amazing coffee cake with a scoop of mocha ice cream but I chose to refrain.  Instead, I boxed up my leftovers (which I accidentally spoiled by leaving them in my car...not the best air freshener).   

The Bride went with entree that had a little less kick.  It was made with chicken, dried red chilies, water chestnuts and scallions in a mild, sweet chili sauce.  I, of course, had to steal a bite.  Pretty good but doesn't hold up to my need for super spicy!


I will continue to go to Thai Taste if I'm ever on the North side and have a hankering for inexpensive, yummy Thai cuisine.  Their hospitality is always so friendly, especially the frail older man who refilled our waters several times, always with a smile.

THAI TASTE
5353 E 82nd St
Indianapolis, IN 46250
(317) 578-9722


Thai Spice

After a pretty exhausting weekend (the joint bachelor/bachelorette party was on Saturday) I realized that I haven't gone grocery shopping for myself in weeks so our cupboard is getting very bare.  I still haven't figured out which restaurants deliver in my area so I decided to order some food for pick up from a Thai restaurant that I had passed, while driving, several times.  A friend of mine had actually recommended it to me recently so when I was debating who to call, Thai Spice came to mind.  I was starving when I made the call.  I was calling during their lunch service so I went with the Red Curry (#10) and the Padd Seuw (#3), both which came with rice, vegetarian lemongrass soup and a spring roll.  By the time I threw my hair up in a ponytail holder and brushed my teeth, it was time for me to go pick it up.  I walked in and noticed the elegant decor and plentiful seating.  I would love to take D back there for a more romantic night out.  I paid the bill and anxiously headed back to my house.  Once I got everything out of the boxes and bags, my nostrils and taste buds immediately lit up!


Starting from the top of my plate and going clockwise you have the lemongrass soup which was very light and simple.  It was a very seasoned broth with the slightest bit of onion, tomato, mushroom and cilantro floating about.  Nothing special.  The Padd Seuw is made with chicken, wide noodles, broccoli, Chinese broccoli and bok choy.  There was the teensiest bit of heat but fell more on the sweet spectrum for me.  It balanced well with the Red Curry which was nice and spicy (I ordered it "Medium Hot")  Again, Thai Spice's sauce was very runny but captured the intense flavors I crave.  The spring roll was pretty typical and would have been nice with a sweet chili or duck sauce for dipping.  There was also a sweet surprise with both entrees.  Khanom Kai Nok Kra Ta or "Thai Fried Sweet Potato Balls" made for a happy ending.  They were just a small bite of sweet potato in a crispy, fried wonton.  Just the bit of sweet to cool my tongue from the heat of the red curry.  I had plenty of leftovers so D and I enjoyed them them for dinner.  His favorite was the Padd Seuw and I still favored the red curry.  I am glad to know that there is a decent Thai place right down the road from where we live.  I look forward to a dine-in experience in the near future.

THAI SPICE
2220 East County Line Road
Indianapolis, IN 46227-6315
(317) 881-2243

No comments:

Post a Comment