Friday, October 7, 2011

Blogger Meet-up, Date Night & What I'm Eating : Seasons 52

The seasons are changing.  I love it.  The leaves. The smells of wood-burning fires.  The stylish wardrobe with layers, jeans, sweaters, boots.  But my favorite is the change in menus of many restaurants in the area; especially those who focus their menus greatly into what is ripe and in season.  One of those restaurants that prides themselves on wisely seeking fresh, regionally sourced meat, poultry, seafood and produce is Seasons 52 (at Keystone at the Crossing).  The head and sous chefs boldly experiment with flavors and ingredients while also focusing on healthy portions that create "seasonally-inspired" dishes with 475 calories or less. 

A couple weeks ago, I had the honor and privilege of getting to try Seasons 52's new Fall menu before they launched it to the public.  Talk about royal treatment.  Myself and 4 other local bloggers were treated to an amazing 12-course "tasting" along with carefully paired wines (picked out by our wonderful server, Jason).  This experience was so entertaining.  Not only did I enjoy the conversations with new acquaintances but the education we received from the head chef, Bill, was equally intriguing. 

Here were some of my favorites:

Grade A/Level 1 Seared Ahi Tuna

Organic Arugala Salad with portobello mushrooms, shaved Parmesan cheese and tossed in a truffle dressing.  (Who doesn't love the earthy flavors of truffles?)
NOT PICTURED: one of my absolute favorites was the Maple Leaf Farms Sesame Duck Chop Salad tossed with apples, butternut squash, dried cranberries and the surprise flavor of mint!  Yum!

Squash Trio: I was hoping there would be squash featured.  I was having a hankering so Autumn squash!

Brussels sprouts?  Seriously? Yes, they were great!  No offense, Mom, but yours have never tasted like these. 

(LEFT to RIGHT) Grilled Quail over broccoli; mashed sweet potatoes (not doused in butter or brown sugar, yet sweet and scrumptious); Cajun-style blackened Mahi 

We barely had enough room in our stomachs but we all found a spot for this amazing Mini Indulgence: layered Pumpkin Pie and gingersnap crust topped with sweet crème fraiche :)

Myself and the lovely ladies

Please check out these other amazing blogs:

When I got home that night, I shared some of my leftovers with D.  A week later, when I was pushing for a DATE NIGHT, D suggested we go to Seasons 52; he wanted to check it out for himself. 

We went on a Saturday night with a reservation for 8:15, and when we arrived, it was a full house.  We actually elected to sit in a booth in the bar area rather than the large main dining room.  This turned out to be a great move because it was much quieter and made for easier conversation.  We also got to enjoy the live pianist who softly performed right in the bar (side by side with the bartenders).  Such a unique and classy touch.  I took more notice of the ambiance and decor.  Dark, intimate lighting.  Rich, deep wood paneling.  Natural stone. Open, airy kitchen.

I knew I was going to go for a seafood dish so I ordered a glass of vino, a South African Sauvignon Blanc, while D enjoyed a Sam Adams seasonal ale.  I loved the elegant table side wine pour (even just wine by the glass). We also went ahead and immediately ordered the Steak and Cremini Mushroom Flatbread - grilled, shaved steak, cremini mushrooms, gorgonzola cheese, sauteed onions and fresh basil. 

Absolutely amazing!
After a bit of back-and-forth, I decided to go with the Cedar-Planked Grilled Salmon which was accompanied with roasted red potatoes and grilled asparagus and carrots. 


It was an excellent choice.  The salmon was cooked perfectly, moist and seasoned just with a bit of salt and pepper and I loved the fresh veggies that came with it.  I also ordered the Squash Trio that I had enjoyed so much previously.

D went for the Grilled Lamb T-bone Chops; no surprise there!  3 medallions of perfectly grilled lamb served with Yukon Gold mashed potatoes and veggies.  D quickly devoured his meal; a sure sign that he thoroughly enjoyed it.  His only complaint was the amount of meat he received.  He thought it was a little sparse considering the higher prices than other restaurants in the area.  I tried to reassure him that the price goes into the quality and the careful sourcing. 

When the Mini Indulgence dessert tray came by I knew I had to try one.  Heck, for $2.50 each, I'd be surprised if there was ever a table that completely passed it up.  D swore he was stuffed but I forced a bite on him.  He's doesn't have the biggest sweet tooth.  I went with the Mocha Macciato. 


Light and fluffy. Sweet without being overindulgent. The perfect sweet cap for an amazing night out with D.

<3


Seasons 52
8650 Keystone Crossing
Indianapolis, IN 46240
(317) 846-5252

www.seasons52.com

No comments:

Post a Comment