Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Finally feeling back to normal after the Indy 500

This year marked the 100th running of the Indianapolis 500.  To be honest, I am not a racing fan but I do love history and any excuse to have fun over a lot a couple adult beverages with friends.  The Indy 500 is the largest event held here in Indiana that attracts almost a half a million people to the West side of town.  I live only about 5 or so miles from the Speedway and had Neil Carr Van Services (317-414-6842) pick myself and my friend, Lindsey, up around 7:45am.  It took us 3.5 hours to get there but just in time for the opening ceremonies:  the National Anthem performed by Kelly Clarkson, Seal, David Foster; God Bless American sung by Florence Henderson; the fly over from the B12 Stealth Bomber (awesome!); the introductory laps;er and of course, Jim Nabors.  It was a very nostalgic moment that brought chills to myself and many of my friends.  The crowd chanted USA! USA! USA! and it was just such a special time to be at the track. 

I met up with my friend, Macy, who was in town from California, and her friends from Logansport.  When the drivers made their first official lap past Turn 3 (where we were stationed) they shook and sprayed their beers wildly in the air.  Lindsey and I stood from a far distance. 

Celebratory Beer Spraying to kick off the Race

Macy got soaked!
I decided to channel my inner derby girl with my attire but it paid off in the long run because at the end of the day, I wasn't fried and didn't have the annoying tan lines.
Me!

Lindsey, Steph, Macy and myself


Linds and I
 Here's a sample of the hilarious attire seen out in the infield.... 

Channeling the 80s
Mullet action!


Buns of Steel!
 I wish I had taken more pics because there were plenty of awesomely crazy looking people.  I met up with a few more friends before the end. 


Old buddy of mine, Jeremy!!
 
Hello, Leon!
I had a great time and can't wait to see what the rest of the summer brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment