Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Weekend Recap + What I'm Eating: Creation Cafe

The past weekend was pretty busy.  It began Saturday afternoon with the Broad Ripple Arts Fair and a Hog Roast at a friend's house in Broad Ripple.  Being the bad blogger that I am, I didn't take any pictures at the BRAF.  Kelly and I made our way there around 2pm on Saturday.  Parking was a bit scarce and we decided to pay $10 to park nearby for the convenience and because of the looming storm clouds ahead.  Admission was a bit steep at $15 a person but I'm sure it costs a lot to organize such a massive event.  The smells of greasy, goodness smacked us in the face upon entering.  The aroma of roasted nuts was mesmerizing but I decided to skip them.  Instead, we made a beeline to the beer tent.  I started out with a Honey Moon.  The event was set up with various, winding fingers of vendor booths that zig-zagged around the property.  There were some really talented artists, vendors and performers scattered throughout the venue.  I saw a lot of pottery, paintings, jewelry.  I loved the student section which reminded me of SCAD (down in Atlanta).  Kelly purchased a beautiful ring from a lady who was studying jewelry-making.   We continued our journey past more booths and stood to watch a glass-blowing demonstration.  We grabbed another beer (an IPA) from the Broad Ripple Brew Pub before finishing up.  I was sad that I didn't leave with anything.  I am constantly on the lookout for items to decorate the new house.  I did get a lot of ideas for future projects, though.  All in all, it was a great experience.  We rushed through most of it for fear of the skies opening up.  It started to rain right as we were leaving.

Immediately afterwards, we made our way to our friend Cam's (and Creed's) 2nd Annual Hog Roast.  They live in a great 1 story bungalow-style home in Broad Ripple that reminds me of a place on HGTV.  It's a definite bachelor pad with an amazing backyard, perfect for entertaining.  They began roasting the pig earlier in the day so by the time I got over there, it was almost ready for mass consumption.  There was plenty of space for people to congregate around.  The garage served as the main area that housed the kegs and margarita machine.  Flip-cup tables, beer bong and corn hole was also out for people to take part in.  This was the first big event this year that really brought to light SUMMER! 

Luckily Mel took a pic (Me*Fefe*Alicia)
It was a definite high school reunion.  I went to HSE and saw several people I hadn't seen in years; however, there were also plenty of other non-HSE people on hand.  I ended up only staying for about 3 hours.  D suggested we call it an early night so we could get up early without a massive hangover.  Although I initially protested, it ended up being a great call.  We went home and sat out on the back deck for a while, enjoyed a few more brews and just enjoyed eachothers' company.  Good Night!

The following morning (Sunday), we rose to a beautiful, sunny day.  D, myself and Little Miss B didn't waste much time before getting dressed and scurrying out the door.  We decided to finally walk to the canal and grab lunch at Creation Cafe.  From our place to Creation Cafe, it's a little over 2 miles.  We decided to then walk the entire canal (a 3-mile loop) before grabbing lunch.  I had no idea how beautiful the canal really is.  We saw the Indiana Museum of Contemporary Art, the Eiteljorg Museum, the Eugene and Marilyn Glick Indiana History Center.  We also walked past the enormous JW Marriott and Victory Field that stood nearby.  Next big walk, I want to keep going past the Indianapolis Zoo. The new Cosmopolitan complex really intensifies the landscape and the views along with the other various apartments, condos and businesses.  

By the time we made it back to Creation Cafe, I was weak, thirsty and starving.  We grabbed a table outside despite ominous storm clouds off in the distance.  They sat us against the wall, wedged between a couple with a frou-frou lap dog and another couple with a large hound-mix.  That could've been interesting but luckily all 3 were so well behaved.  A table that was seated a few minutes after us was greeted and had drinks before someone approached our table.  They were pretty busy and it usually wouldn't be a problem but we were all parched.  We quickly ordered 2 iced-teas and a bowl of water for B.  She pretty much took the whole thing down immediately.  I went back and forth with the menu.  This was my 4th visit to Creation Cafe and the experience has been mixed.  Some of the food has been great, other times, not so good.  I also think their food is a bit pricey for what they have.  They charge $10-$12 for their salads which are medium-sized.  The sandwiches and wraps are around $9 and come with one side.  Ultimately, I couldn't decide if I wanted lunch or to try something off of the brunch menu.  The Monkey Nut Martha (either pancakes or waffles with banana, chocolate chips and peanut butter) was so tempting but I resisted.  I finally went with the Hoity Toity Sandwich (grilled chicken breast with sage aoili, Granny smith apples, toasted walnuts, and brie).  D chose the Italiano Panini (salami, pepperoni, ham, Swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, hot peppers and mayo on pressed sourdough bread).  I could've bet $100 that's what he was going to choose. 

As we waited for our food, our server brought us the Doggie Menu provided by Three Dogs Bakery. OMG. So cute and thoughtful.  There were items such as whole wheat "ribs" slathered in BBQ sauce or entrees with chicken, carrots, green beans, and rice.  They even had "desserts".  Everything was decently priced but I knew that there was too much going on around B for her to eat so we passed on that.  She would eventually enjoy some scraps from our food.  Speaking of the food, it arrived very promptly.  I was very much relieved because I thought I was going to faint.  (D and I were stupid and didn't eat breakfast before embarking on our journey downtown.)  D quickly scooped his panini up and took 2 bites before I got a chance to take a picture.  I love when restuarants use panini presses and the bread is perfectly charred.  He would later tell me it is in his Top 3 favorite Italian sandwiches ever.  I'm always happy to hear that when introducing someone to a new-to-them restaurant.  The french fries were kind of an after thought. 

He seriously couldn't wait
My sandwich was equally delicious.  It had tartness from the apples; buttery sharpness from the brie and sweet from the toasted walnuts.  The chicken was cooked perfectly and the cheese was very "melty."  Although my sweet potato fries looked lifeless, I really enjoyed them.  They were naturally sweet with a hint of salty.  They really complimented my sandwich.

Love the mismatched plates and colorful placemats!
About midway through our meal, the storm shelf finally made its way to us and it began pouring.  People who were seated near the railing tried to wait it out under the tables' umbrellas but quickly realized that was impossible to do. 

Major downpour!
Many tables were resat inside.  We were in the perfect spot and didn't get wet.  One downside was that there was a sewer grate right next to us that began stinking once the rain came.  That was pretty unappetizing. 

Thumbs up: dog bowls for water and food Thumbs down: yucky sewer
We called our room mate to make sure he could pick us up if the storm didn't let up but just as quickly as it came, it left and the sun came out again.  This time around, my time at Creation Cafe was very pleasant  so I think it's 3:1 with me so far.  The location on the Canal and eclectic, dog-encouraging atmosphere is what really sells it.  I hope we can get a few more walks and dining experiences before we move to the 'burbs in 3 weeks.  The bill was about $30 including tip.  We walked the final 2+ miles back home where D and B crashed immediately.  I was exhausted but had to go meet up with The Bride and her mom to look for shoes to wear with my dress.  The Bride: Not having luck finding a size 5 in the style/color/design she's looking for.  Me: Success. Check that off my massive to-do list.  When I got home, I mustered up enough strength to cook dinner before my body finally said ENOUGH!  Stay tuned for the amazing Fish Tacos recipe....


The Verdict: Out of 5 stars

Location/Atmosphere: ****  The beginning point of the North end of the Canal downtown.  Lots of indoor (quirky, fun decor) and outdoor seating (beautiful city views) plus extremely dog friendly

Service: ***1/2 We sat a little while before being greeted but the rest of the time was smooth


Food: **** D and I both enjoyed our sandwiches; the sweet potato fries were delish! Doggie Menu is another PLUS

Will I eat there again: Yes


Creation Cafe and Euphoria
337 West 11th Street 
Indianapolis, IN 46202-3001 
(317) 955-2389

No comments:

Post a Comment