Monday, April 25, 2011

What I'm Eating: MEXICAN!!

This is an argument that really has no right or wrong.  Just like the heated   Where can you find the best [Americanized, tex-mex version of] "authentic" Mexican?  El Rodeo? La Hacienda? Cancun? To me the line is so minuscule that it, depending on the visit, could be any of the 3, on any given day.  Some keys factors that I usually look for are the salsa, the margaritas and the fajitas. 

I've been going to Mexican restaurants with my friends since high school days and every time I go, I feel a bit of nostalgia.  Back then, we would go to La Hacienda in the Marsh shopping center at 116th and Allisonville Rd (no longer there but has recently been replaced with a new Mexican joint).  The Bride and I, at one time, would go there at least once a week.  We would order and split the exact same thing every time: chicken and steak fajitas with an extra order of tortillas and toppings (lettuce, pico, sour cream, guac) plus an order of white queso dip.  It also came with refried beans.  It was always the perfect amount for 2 and left us almost comatose and lethargic.

Over the weekend, D and I spent our Easter Sunday at La Hacienda off Binford and Graham Rd.  I decided to skip the margarita on such a holy day.  Instead I stuck with my oh-so-familiar order of chicken fajitas and, of course, filled up on chips and salsa.  Their salsa is sometimes different in taste, texture and heat level.  It was chunkier than usual and a bit milder than I was hoping for.  D selected his go-to chicken chimichanga.  Our food came out freaky fast, as always.  I could hear the sizzling fajita skillet even as it was coming out of the kitchen.  I am always fearful that I'm going to get burnt.  I spread out all of my plate and used the same fajita preparation that I did ten years ago. 
  1. Grab a warm, soft flour tortilla and lay out flat
  2. Spread a small dollop of sour cream in the middle of the tortilla 
  3. Do the same with the guacamole
  4. Spread some refried beans next to the sour cream and guac
  5. Top with a generous amount of chicken/pepper/onion/tomato mix
  6. Sprinkle with shredded lettuce and a spoonful of pico de gallo
  7. Drizzle with a bit of queso
  8. Roll up and devour!  Repeat steps 1-7, if necessary.

I ate 2 assembled tacos without feeling the debilitating food crash I usually experience after eating Mexican food.  I also had a lot of leftovers that I could just reheat at a later time.  D ended up heating up his doggie bag a couple hours later.  Sunday's visit was exactly what I expected: no-frills service, fast food prep, flavorful food and a full stomach.  It was my major splurge of the week and I didn't feel the least bit guilty.

The Verdict: Out of 5 stars
Location/Atmosphere: ***1/2 (Binford Blvd & Graham Rd. Festive decor and plenty of seating)
Service: ***1/2 (fast service)
Food: ***1/2 (nothing that wowed but nothing that disappointed)

Will I eat there again: Yup. Here's to another 10 years
LA HACIENDA
6825 Graham Rd.
Indianapolis, IN
ph: 317-577-2689

No comments:

Post a Comment